As pointed out by Owosso Mayor Ben Fredrick, the proposed budget doesn’t quite smell right. Check out this graph that shows how much our county spent each year, and how much of that spending was “deficit” spending.
A few things to point out:
- In 2010 we actually made about $200,000 which we deposited in our fund balance. We’re going to spend it over the next few years.
- From there on out our deficit held steady around $250,000/year until 2014.
- In 2014 our county government blew their proposed budget by overspending on Health & Welfare and General Government to expand our deficit to $505,000, otherwise this number would have been right around $250,000 as well.
So here’s my question, based on the chart above Shiawassee County has a deficit of:
a. $250,000-$500,000 -or- b. $2.163 million dollars
If you choose “b”, there might be a seat waiting for you on our county commission. Now, a followup question. Based on your first answer we should cut public safety by:
a. No more than $250,000. -or- b. $1.5 million dollars.
If you picked “b” you really should consider running for office. You’re obviously smarter than the rest of us.
Time for the bonus question! Based on the graph above and the proposed budget why is the county having to cut spending so much?
a. Because the County Sheriffs Department Generates a Substantial amount of revenue for the county. -or-
b. Because it’s just the right thing to do.
If you answered “a”, you’re right again! Notice a few huge decreases in the proposed budget:
- 4% less state Revenue and Grants-I’m sure this probably includes the SRP grant I mentioned yesterday.
- 11% less in Fines and Forfeitures.
- 17% less in Charges for Services citing a reduction in court charges. Makes sense-they’ll be a lot less people going to court.
The County Commissioners are so intent on punishing the voters of this county that they would “cut off their nose, to spite their face.”
I should note that all these numbers are available from the county website, so feel free to do this same exercise yourself.
Meanwhile, help out the cause by sharing this site with your friends. Together we can fix this!
Also feel free to contact me at anytime if you’d like to share something privately. I can be reached at: